ENOUGH, ALREADY!

I am so sick of the whole bloody “female comedians aren’t funny” comments/articles/discussions.  If you TRULY think that way, fine, whatever; just don’t talk/write about it anymore. I’m so bored with it all.  And frankly, do you REALLY think that?  It’s as ridiculous as saying you don’t like black comics or gay comics – which you wouldn’t because it’s racist or homophobic and idiotic.

Here’s my take; and it’s based wholly on my perception of comedy, but bear in mind I’m pretty deeply mired in it (Canadian comedy, that is).  Seems to me that maybe 10% of professional comics are female… I don’t know WHY that is, it just is; the why to be discussed somewhere else.  So, based on that loose approximation – in a room full of 100 comics, 10 will be women, 90 will be guys.  If you were to watch each and every one (taking away your total exhaustion from the mere feat of doing that) – chances are you’ll find MAYBE 25-30 guys that you totally find hilarious.  The other 60 are split between guys you kind of liked and a bunch you really didn’t.  Fair enough, right?  That means (about) 30% you really dug, and the other 70% were okay/bad. (This isn’t perfectly precise, people – stay with me).  Now let’s look at the women – using a similar equation – out of 10 (yes, TEN) – you may only really laugh at 3 ish.  The rest will be okay or suck.  And, truly, how many women comics have you seen live, compared to men?  3, 4?  If so, there’s a chance that you didn’t enjoy them.  Fact is; the odds are you think you don’t like “women comics” because you haven’t had the chance to give them a fair shake. Funny is funny is funny. If you laugh, the dick/vag thing shouldn’t be in the equation.

I’m mystified by the people (read: men) who think it’s okay to say TO MY FACE – that they don’t usually like girl comics, but they like me (or some such weird back-handed compliment) – to them I say thanks (I’m well brought-up, first and foremost), then – but WHY don’t you like girl comics?  Usually, when I do ask, they can’t answer.  Probably mostly because they are so shocked I’ve taken their compliment the “wrong” way.  But also, they just don’t know.

So here’s all I ask. Stop imagining you hate girl comics and relax. If you do decide that’s your outlook, well good for you.  But stop saying it (esp. to girl comics). Stop writing articles like “Women aren’t funny” or “Men are the funny ones!” or even “Thanks to Tina Fey and Kristen Wiig, women were funny this year!” It’s all patronizing bullshit.

And if you chose to ignore my plea above, please know, you’re not going to stop us anyway.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to ENOUGH, ALREADY!

1. ED D says:

Love it! and your use of math and percentages was not bad for a girl 😛 All my love Martha and keep fighting the good fight. I think you’re pretty damn funny… full stop…Don’t Stop! 🙂

2. I happen to love girl comics. I always get more excited when I hear the MC say that the next comedian coming up is a female. Is that bad? Maybe I’m just being unfair to male comics. Or maybe I just have good taste. (Take that, male comedians of the blogosphere!)

3. corymack says:

amen. and pass the ammunition.

4. Blair Streeter says:

Anyone who actually believes women as a whole aren’t funny is too stupid to have an opinion worthy of respect.
    I think the only reason guys say that female comics aren’t funny is because it drives female comics CRAZY when they hear that and driving chicks crazy is fun.
    Nice blog post Martha, next time some jerk makes a dumb comment like that consider the source and ignore it…or play Sarah Silverman’s Jesus is Magic for them.

5. D.J. says:

This was one of the best blog posts I’ve read by a woman.

You da bomb Martha 🙂

6. marthaoneill says:

Thanks guys! I feel better for having written it. Maybe 2012 will be the year I say all the stuff that I’ve been keeping in. Ka-boom!

7. anna gustafson says:

Sometimes you have the opportunity to educate and reposition their thinking, starting with something like “you, sir, are mistaken about us…” Or as an alternative to that, a simple “suck my dick” can be highly effective.

8. Jon Hyatt says:

Great post Martha, fuck those people. The real problem is at least 60% of guys have no real sense of humor either.

9. danish says:

I began to appreciate this as a real issue when I started work on producing an all-female show for Jan 2012. Blogs like this will help change minds I’m sure.

10. darren frost says:

you are asking 9-5 ers to think way past what they want to think past

they just are syaing you are funny

you know how many times i have heard everything from You are like Dice Clay to Dane Cook..once in the same show

now if you are talking about people in the industry wail away but you cant expect normal working people to look at it the way we do

11. Love it, Martha. Totally agree, and great math!

12. Pingback: BIG NEWS ROUND-UP DECEMBER 2011 « intocomedy

13. Cruzzer says:

Well said Martha.The deal with these dudes having issue with femle comics has more to do with their mommy issues and issues with women in general rather than our comedy.Comedy is about power over an audience and these dudes cant handle women with power.These are the same guys who probably have challenges getting laid too unless they are paying for it by the hour.just sayin’.Keep up the great blog